29 October 2006

life is beautiful

Don't you hate it when real life starts to interfere with your blogging? Anyway, this was my weekend.

I have been congested so I decided to succumb to everyone's advice and try some nasal
spray. Nasal sprays always make me nervous and until now I have never been able to actually spray the liquid into my nose. But I am happy to report that I feel like it is working.

Saturday I spent the whole afternoon and much of the evening at le Centre Pompidou (which I now honor as my absolute favorite museum of all time ever) with Carin. The best exhibit was the Fabrica: Les Yeux Ouvres. It is remarkable the way the exhibit approached current issues through creativity media. The beauty of the art contrasted with the often hideous reality (ie violence, world hunger, poverty, racism, political injustice etc) is brilliant. Maybe I'm a little too excited about this, but I enjoy contemporary art and the possibilities that it reveals. One of the best aspects of the exhibit was the COLORS magazine notebook project in which people around the world were presented with an opportunity to express themselves however they pleased in a blank notebook. This collection of notebooks was displayed for people to read. I was especially moved by a notebook written by people in Uganda whose lives were affected by a spouse dying from HIV/AIDS (and additionally frequently themselves or their children suffering from the disease). The stories were handwritten in raw, straightforward language and accompanied by headshot photographs. As I read the stories my tears flowed as candidly as the words - assuredly filled with grief but more importantly hope and fight to live.




(Yeah, okay. I was getting a bit too happy with photoshop.)



Carin and I went to Ladurée
today and I had a raspberry and passion fruit tart which was heavenly. We went to Sephora also which was the worst decision, because EVERYONE was there, pushing (without saying excuse me) and spritzing perfume all over the place.



I will end with this sentence that I read on another blog in a comment and that commenter read it somewhere else, so I don't who to credit, but I'm feeling it. The only way we have to find a reference point is continuing to move.

3 comments:

dreamyj said...

thank you for a new post! loving your new experiences, please continue to share!

Adei von K said...

that raspberry tarte looks heavenly! i'm glad you're back to blogging!

fuckgoogle said...

Looks good.