02 August 2007

whoa, it's August!?!

I dislike public speaking. Mainly because I'm just no good at it. I had to give a presentation in class today on a paper entitled Little Evidence for Developmental Plasticity of Adult Hematopoietic Stem Cells. Riveting, I tell you. But the point is that I hate giving presentations because I always get ridiculously nervous. No matter how much I remind myself to command the deeper voice, I end up talking way too fast in a super high-pitched tone. And although I'm not one of those people who repeats umm, I repeat and instead, automatically turning all of my sentences into run-ons. At some point, I tend to lose my train of thought, because I'm so focused on my anxiety and then I scramble to regain control. It could be worse in my mind than reality, but still it's not a pretty sight. Basically I don't think that I like being the center of attention. It makes me nervous. I'm probably being too self-conscious. Anyway, to my surprise, today I overcame my usual nervousness. I spoke calmly and clearly without fear of being asked questions that I wouldn't have answers to. And I felt great doing it. It may be a residual effect of that wine flight that I had last night. Whatever. Don't rain on my parade.

2 comments:

dreamyj said...

girl you know the wine be letting you know...you know the rest...

Leela said...

yeah girl, and it worked the second time too, although instead of wine, it was car bombs and vodka...