13 March 2007

Merci mille fois!

When you are young, receiving mail is super exciting. Except that you always wonder why you never get anything in the mail (other than the occasional holiday card or letter from India). So your parents try to satisfy you with the junk mail that they don't want. When that stops working they get you a couple of magazine subscriptions and find you some pen pals in Australia and Finland. You wait expectantly knowing that the mail brings treasures from afar. Specifically for you. However, as you age this mail excitement turns into more of a nuisance as mail becomes synonymous with bills. Glossy bulk mailings lose their appeal. Packages are filled with the things that you bought online for yourself. It isn't the same.

When you are far away from home, mail once again resumes its magical quality. Anything in the mail for me today? A junk magazine from the bank! Woot! But today was even more special than that, because I returned home to a large envelope with my name on it. An envelope containing a card, CD, and a bag full of miniature Reese’s cups.

Thank you my dearest Helena! You really are the greatest!!!!! Miss you lots!!!

3 comments:

Jameil said...

yay!!!!! :0) my fave thing about stace is that she sends me cards all the time.

dreamyj said...

Awww...yay for Helena!

I remember that feeling when I was in Chile. It's great! =)

fuckgoogle said...

I concur...whilst deployed...everyday checking for mail was like Xmas...its crazy seeing so many adults with that gleam...fun times.