10 November 2007

LOL

So I know that there are things that are less than socially acceptable to be done alone. Like drinking or going to the movies or a restaurant or eating a gallon of ice cream on the sofa. It's a good thing that behaving in a socially acceptable manner is not always high on my list of priorities. I tend to laugh by myself, not about stuff occurring around me, but rather stuff that I think about, in my head. For instance, my mother is what the French would refer to as une technophobe. She is not very good with electronics - computers, cell phones, DVD players, basically anything. A while ago, she finally learned how to send text messages, which is no small feat for her, a woman who couldn't figure out how to get the second and third letters on a cell phone key (she knew that by pressing 2, she could type the letter A, but she didn't know how to get the B or C). All the contacts in her phone book were in a strange code that only she could decipher. Now as if that isn't hilarious enough, she didn't know how to type a space, so all of her messages were like howareyoudoing or haveanicedayiwillcallyoulater. When she finally figured that out, she moved on to trying to use abbreviated lingo in her texts. Everyone wants to be cool, you know. She started to write messages that sounded like English was not her first language, Maybe u c a nice pair at another store where r u finish class was her way of saying Maybe u will c a nice pair at another store. Where r u? U finish class? Yes, she is special. She is my mother. Now my brother wasn't so amused or patient. One day after receiving a text from her, he sent her one back that read This phone is not able to receive text messages. He told me about it and we both had a good laugh. But really, I didn't think that she would fall for it. I forgot all about it, until like a couple weeks ago, when she said she was trying to get a hold of him. I suggested sending a text message and she said No, I can't. His phone can't receive text messages. I was confused, like What are you talking about? And then I remembered and I cracked up, like You actually believed that!?!? And she was too confused. I tried to explain the story to her and she kept arguing with me, telling me that no, that she got a message and he can't receive text messages. OMG, maybe you had to be there. But yes, I laugh by myself around other people at memories that only I have. If you happen to ever see me break into laughter, just smile, or better yet, laugh with me.

3 comments:

Jameil said...

def. didn't have to be there. that is HILARIOUS!!! I'M DYIN! i had the most ridiculously long convo w/one of my coworkers about teh color purple b/c he'd never seen it and there was something that was crackin me up but it was so worthless in the end. sigh. pa.the.tic. drinking or going to the movies or a restaurant... yep. done all those alone. who cares. when you move to a city where you don't know anyone you do a lot of things alone. it becomes fun, actually.

Adei von K said...

lol! your mom sounds like my mom! she just started e-mailing a year ago and her cell phone? everyone begins with a, then aa, then aaa! lol

i can't go anywhere by myself. i went to chili's once and was sooooo relieved i saw someone i knew!

Ray said...

I want to wish you a very happy and safe new year and may God Bless You with your plans for 2008